Friday, March 21, 2008

Born in the wrong generation


It is impossible to know me without knowing my wife. Heather and I were married on a beautiful Saturday afternoon May, 20th 2006. Since then, we have lived in Chapel Hill while she attends pharmacy school at Carolina and I seminary at Campbell. Ironically, Heather did her undergrad at Campbell and I at Carolina.

Heather is a smart cookie. (Did somebody say cookies!!!) As far as I can tell she can do just about anything she puts her mind to. Anything, that is, that doesn't require a computer. In our technologically advanced generation with computers in every dorm room, college professors often integrate class requirements with the internet. The problem is, Heather doesn't play nice with computers. Whether assignments are sent via email or posted on Black Board, Heather does not like the over dependence on technology that our schools have developed. In short, she hates it.

I cannot talk about my wife without mentioning her car. She rides around in a 1966, tan, 8-cylinder with a 283 engine, Chevy, Malibu. We both love that car. Some say I married her so I could claim ownership of it. It's just not too often one sees a cute 22 year old girl cruis'n down the road in something like that.

I also can't talk about her without mentioning the Eagles. My generation has some limited knowledge of this aged, legnedary, country/rock band from the 70s, 80s and 90s. If the Malibu had a CD player, instead of its AM radio, the only thing it would ever play would be the Eagles: Heather's favorite band. She knows their lyrics better than half the people who grew up in the 70s. And that's fine by me.

I say all this to make one simple point. It occurred to me not too long ago that perhaps my wife was born in the wrong generation. My parents are "baby boomers," and Wikipedia says we are "generation Y." But something tells me that she should have been one of those "generation Xers" (born in 60s & 70s). It makes sense: she doesn't do well with computers, she drives a '66 Malibu, and loves the Eagles.

Eerie as it may be, I am grateful to God that he has allowed her to be a part of my life for over seven years, even if she wasn't born on time.

No comments: