Sunday, August 1, 2010

To Own A Dragon, by Donald Miller and John Macmurray

This is the third book by Don Miller I've read, which should show you that I like him as an author. In college I read his best-selling book Blue Like Jazz, and a few years later I read his follow up Searching For God Knows What. Both books were pertinent and helpful looks at what I might call non-dogmatic spirituality. After finishing his second book, years ago, I randomly ordered online his latest, To Own A Dragon: Reflections On Growing Up Without A Father. Years later, I finally plucked it from the shelf and read.

It's a short read, and like all of Miller's books is written in what is called a Bohemian style (though I must confess I don't really know what that means). Miller's style is somewhere between stream of consciousness and well thought out reflectiveness. Maybe that's Bohemian style. Who knows.

Any who, I'm not quite sure why I read the book, because I grew up with a father. Predominantly, this book is written to men and young men who like Miller did not have a father in their young years. It is clear that Donald Miller has done some therapy (whether formal or informal) on the issue and how it has affected his spiritual and emotional life. In this book he makes an worthwhile and successful effort to put down his revelations on paper. I imagine, just like the book I recently reviewed on 'How to be a man,' this book is very helpful to fatherless guys and their unique struggles with relationships.

The book is co-authored with John Macmurray, a friend and mentor to Don Miller, and much of the content is based on his experiences and conversations while living
with Mr. Macmurray.

It's necessary to say that Don Miller is a gifted and smooth writer. If you've read anything from him, you'll know they're quick reads but with deep insight into life. He has helped me to better understand the emotional plight of men who grew up with a caring male role model. For one example, Miller writes, "Tell a guy who grew up without a father that he is not a man unless. . . and he will automatically assume he isn't one. I didn't need manipulation. I needed affirmation."

I would recommend this book to, of course, men I noticed struggling due to the handicap of fatherlessness. However, for some victims of abusive fathers, no father would've been the better option. I might also recommend it to someone trying to live with our understand a man with no father.

To me, the book was a bit benign; but, I imagine this would not be the case to a friend I know who grew up just him and his mom. To him, it may be greatly appreciated.

No comments: