Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Band Camp

Last week I worked(!) as an instructor during Asheville High School's band camp. This makes the 7th time out of eight years that I have taught the drumline.


Not only was this a means to some income during my 'in between jobs time,' but it is also one of my favorite things to do each year. Going back to my old high school, seeing my old band director and walking the familiar (though somehow different) hallways always gets me all nostalgic.


The week was not an easy one. Monday and Tuesday we worked from 9am - 8:30pm. In the morning and after dinner we were outside on the field practicing how to march correctly and learning the formations for the half-time show. During the hott afternoon we broke the band into sectionals and worked worked worked those kids till they could play perfectly (or at least better). The other three days went from 9am - 5pm, again outside for half the day and inside during the afternoon.


Each night, after coming home all I had the energy for was food and bed. The sun, and being on my feet all day along with maintaining control of a dozen high school kids depleated me of all energy. Still, it's fun!


I hope to come back next year, but each year it becomes more difficult as I move into a different jobs and career like responsibilities. Either way, I will always love marching band, playing music and drumming.


Here's a video of the drumline (my kids) playing this year's cadence. Enjoy.




6 comments:

Alle Photography said...

Wow! That was awesome! Way to go! hmmm maybe ill buy some drums with my first paycheck???

Robert L said...

Dang, Nathan. Those kids could probably give you a run for your money now. That was awesome. You should be proud of their hard work.

Audrey said...

Ah, listening to that cadence takes me back to my own marching band years. It sure was fun. Hey, don't you have a hand in writing the cadence each year?

Nathan said...

Alle: I have a nice drum I can sell you, $100! Special price for a pretty lady.

Roberto: Yes I'm very proud of their hard work, as we all suffered together last week. No way could they challenge my mad skills, however.

Podrey: This is my 7th band camp in 8 years. I missed last year b/c of residency. For the first 6 years I wrote the cadence, and they were all great I must say! However, this year I did not. One of the other percussion instructors (there were 3 of us) had a cadence written by a friend and that's what is on the video. It's good, but I think I could've done better. I didn't write it this year b/c I was only there for 1 of 2 total weeks. The week b/4 they met just for drum camp.

Glad you all liked it. We had lots of fun!

Erin Miller said...

IF I had had any idea you were that talented I would have been way nicer to you in Spartanburg!!! Cool.

The Rev. Vicki K. Hesse said...

Looks like you had a blast! What fun! Thanks for sharing it.