Sunday, May 11, 2008

AVPR

Being a movie buff, I've seen some bad movies in my time. The trick to watching a bad movie is simply knowing before hand that it is bad. A low expectation often makes a bad movie suddenly seem reasonable.

If you are a fan (like me) of the old Alien movies, and if you are a fan (like me) of the old Predator movies, there is a good chance that you enjoyed the 2004 release Alien vs. Predator, directed by Paul WS Anderson. The movie played on strengths of both the Alien and the Predator franchises. Though I can't say it was a world changing movie it was pleasantly entertaining for fans of the dark horror monster genre.

Because the movie makers profited enough from the first "verses" film they decided to make a second--AVPR. The "R" stands for Requiem, though it ought to stand for "rubbish." I must admit, after reading the reviews and hearing other opinions I wasn't expecting much of the movie, yet I got even less.

In one word the movie is--horrible.

The plot, and acting are equally sub-par. There was a moment during the film when I was ready to reach the remote and turn it off. It seems to have been a cheap attempt by some in Hollywood to make a quick buck off the success of the first AVP movie, which was itself a stretch but satisfying in the end. Luckily we only paid $1 to rent it.

So if you're an Alien and/or Predator fan thinking of indulging your love for the tenured monster genre once more, save your money and time. The movie had the same effect on its viewers as Billy Madison's speech (about the puppy who lost his way) had on its hearers. The school's principal replied, "we are all now dumber."

No comments: