Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A step in the right direction

Recently, for her birthday my wife was given a Wii Fit pad and game. Anyone who knows the two of us knows that gift would probably better suit me than her. Just to be clear I did not give this to her as the stereotypical male attempt to get something for myself out of her birthday. No, I'm not so think as you dumb I am.

When the Fit first arrived on the market I was skeptical at the potential for variety. I knew the Fit would be a novelty and sell out just like all of Nintendo's Wii products. However, I wonder if the Fit pad is something that can reach longevity in usage. But now I can see for myself.

Video games have had a history of doing two things, 1) entertaining both youngsters and oldsters with games that tap into scenarios only attainable in the digital world, and 2) causing long time gamers to spend hours on a sofa engaging in no more exercise than rigorous thumb work. For years, video games have been a contributing factor to childhood obesity. They keep kids indoors gaming when they should be running and getting dirty.

Dance Dance Revolution was the first modern game to incorporate physical movement into the gaming scene. (I do recall a track and field game for the original NES that utilized the same concept.) But the Nintendo Wii provided the perfect marriage between physical movement and gaming. This is something overweight gamers can benefit from.

With its newest product, the Wii Fit Pad, Nintendo has taken a step in the right direction towards physical activity for gamers. The game that accompanies the pad is very health conscious. When you first turn it on the computer gathers your weight and height to calculate you Body Mass Index (BMI). Then gamers are encouraged to set a fitness goal involving how many pounds to lose within a time frame. Health facts and tips are sprinkled throughout the tutorial. Actual game play involves yoga, aerobics, strength training and other balance games to help build stronger muscles. The game also promotes good posture, something most lazy Americans could use.

All in all, after only having played it once, I give the Wii Fit Pad a thumbs up. There are too many fat Americans that aren't getting healthier playing video games. I doubt American teenagers will ever be weened fully off of their dependence on gaming media and get outside to exercise instead, but Wii Fit sure is a good start.

No comments: