Wednesday, July 15, 2009

They like me, they really like me!

Being a somewhat novice chaplain, there are times when I have questioned my effectiveness and whether or not what I'm doing makes any difference. The fruits of my job are mostly intangible and often unseen by me in the moment. Often times the results of a spiritual conversation or discussion about EOL (end of life) issues are seen later when a patient is discharged or only evidenced internally.

Not so with a recent visit I had to the Emergency Center Psychiatric Ward.

I was called to visit with a patient who refused to eat or drink due to the fact that God had commanded him to carry out a 10 day fast. The medical staff had tried everything short of strapping him down and tube feeding him (which was the plan should I prove unseccesful). Just before I entered the room a nurse informed me that the patient was "hyper-religious" and suffered from schizophrenia.

"What am I going to do?" I thought as I entered the room which felt more like a cell block. Long story short, after a pleasant hour long visit I walked with the patient to the nurses station, because he just wanted them to know that he'd like to eat some dinner.

"Young man! Young man!" I heard as I turned to face a large, burley, stern looking nurse weighing nearly 275lbs standing over me. "You don't know how much money you just saved this department!" (Whew, feelings of relief after being scared half out of my chaplain.)

The nurse proceeded to fill out a form for employees who preform well titled, "Caught you caring," which is passed to my boss. It's a pleasant honor to recieve, and working in a position that returns few tangible affirmations it makes me feel a bit like Sally Field when in 1985 she accepted an Oscar Award saying, "You like me, you really like me!"

1 comment:

The Rev. Vicki K. Hesse said...

Thanks for being your amazing "9" self!