Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Rhythm

Last Friday night my wife, some friends of ours and I ventured into a land of the strange and the wierd, a land unique from any other in its diversity of patrons and residents, a land of lights, tastes, characters and creativity - a land called Downtown Asheville. The reason for this group-sized galavanting was as unigue and intruiging as the land it was in: drum circle.


Every Friday night there is a drum circle in Pritchard Park, downtown Asheville where drummers from virtually every walk of life come out of the woodwork, drums in hand, to feel the rhythm, play together and have a good time. People of all ages, races, shapes and sizes showed up to play the wide variety of African hand drums which were singing into the air with each "thud," "chum chum," "spok," "tat," and "boom."


Among the instruments I saw were djembes, dumbeks, congas, bongo drums, a dun-dun, an ashiko, cowbells, woodblocks, singer mini-cowbells, taborines and various shakers. Some players were life-long drummers, some were playing for the first time, but all were locked into a perpetual rhythm which some research has suggested has a theraputic quality.




Of my drums, I brought a djembe, conga, cowbell, egg shaker and a woodblock. There's an elevated pavillion-like seating area which was full of hand drummers and an open area filled with more drummers but predominantly dancers. As people walked by they always stopped to watch the rowdy ruckus, feel the rumbling rhythm and refelct on the robust aroma of cigars, inscense, and body odor.




My mates and I all had a such a great time drumming, listening and watching that we're planning on returning this Friday and perhaps many Fridays to come.
Despite Greg's express wishes that his wife Hannah not engage in "hippie dancing," this picture is evidence that she didn't listen.






Heather's dad and his wife also came along and brought the beat with'em. Afterwards Sherry adamantly said, "If I'da knowd it was gonne be that fun, I'da brought my tamborine!"
My guess is, next week she'll get her chance.

1 comment:

The Rev. Vicki K. Hesse said...

i promise the next time I'm NOT on call Fri/Sat and YOU are NOT on call Fri/Sat that we'll go drumming together with E in our hometown! awesome fun to be had :)