Monday, January 3, 2011

Was Jesus A Christian?

I've been thinking lately about something. I've read in a number of books, heard in sermons, and one can even tell by carefully reading the New Testament, that Jesus did not intent to start a new religion.

This is a nice point to make in a sermon and quickly pass by knowing you've left a quaint smile on the faces of those listening but not processing. However, the more I think about this seemingly small notion, the less small it becomes.

In a lengthy theological correspondence, my sister and I have tossed this question back and forth a time or two, but never really landed anywhere solid.

Technically, of course Jesus was not a Christian, for the word itself means, "little Christ," and one of the chief marks of Christian belief is holding that Jesus was in fact a big Christ. The word "Christ" comes from the Greek for "anointed one" meaning traditionally the one who is set for the task of rescuing Israel. The Hebrew word for Christ is "Messiah."

Jesus was a Jew, a good Jew, who followed all, really most, of the rules. He never renounced his Jewishness, and he never told non-Jews that they needed to become Jewish. He never told Jews that they needed to become something else. In fact, as you follow Jesus around Palestine in the canonical gospels you start to notice that he didn't seem to be recruiting converts at all. If anything, you might say he was inspiring righteousness. He did recruit 12 followers, or disciples, and he had lots of other folks following him around. But, isn't it strange that we never find Jesus promoting the new fad and lining people up to take their name and count them part of his new movement?

The first public announcement Jesus makes is this: "The time has come....The Kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news" (Mark 1:15 NIV). This does not sound like a call for folks to get in the Christianity line.

In his hometown synagogue, Jesus read these lines from Isaiah: "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor" (Luke 8:18-19). And in John 10:10 Jesus says about people in general, "I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" (ESV). These are not calls for recruitment. They are statements of purpose.

In fact, nowhere in the New Testament can I find Jesus saying, "Line up behind me, everyone!" In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus did lots of teaching on how to live a moral life; however, none of that teaching seems to be the rules and guidelines for a new religion.

Even when Paul was trying to help sort out how Jews and non-Jews could live, worship and commune together, he never told one group that they had to assimilate and become another group. He advocated that Jews remain Jews and follow Jewish custom as long as they don't force it on non-Jews. And vice-versa.

I wonder, if followers of Islam had been around at that time what would Paul have written to them. Strangely, I'm suspicious that he would've said the same kind of thing as he said to the Jews.

This is a quandary for me. Jesus was not out to start a new club; however, after his death, the 12 disciples did just that. Is that what Jesus wanted? Is this what he'd planned all along, but not said anything about? What do we do with the fact that the new group started in Acts 2 was religiously pluralistic? It had people of many different faiths, a radically inclusive group. Yet today, 99% of the Christians out there are highly exclusive when it comes to different religions/faiths.

Now, I already know how most conservative Christians will respond to these questions. However, if these comments have pricked anything in your mind, please comment. I'd love to hear your thoughts or discussion points.

What do you think? Was Jesus a Christian? Would he be one if he was alive today?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm ... food for thought. My first thought is in regards to the sentence you began, "Yet today, 99%of the Christians out there ...". My first thought was that sentence should be ended as "aren't ... but think they are." Just more food for thought ...
My next thought is that I am struggling with the question of "was?" Mostly because my experience with Him "is!" He is the Saviour of the Jews ... and all else. He is the Word. He is the Bread of Life and the living water and ... and ... all those other things He proclaimed as the "I am." He also "is to come." But that is more than my brain can truly wrap around.
Where my thoughts have landed and I must really think more on was that "little Christian" term. All those things He is ... I will never be ... even in a "little" version. So what does that make me? A believer? Even the demons believe and tremble! This I must think more on. I am sure of one thing ... I know I am His!
Thanks for boldly opening the can of worms. Momma T

Robert L said...

I am reading the Heart of Christianity so the pluralistic vision of the early version of what Jesus and his followers seemed to teach does not come as a shocker to me.
It is interesting that most religions share many of the same values and beliefs and that I don't know if Jesus would have shunned members of any of them.
Also, I think Jesus would be quite shocked with how the religion of Christianity has come about and how the members of the Christian denominations or churches relate to the "unsaved". Of course, the founders of most religions would probably not understand how their followers can have so much hate towards other religions.
Interesting post. I look forward to more of this. I can tell you have been reading some deep literature and learning from being a chaplain.