Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Connection

This evening, just after my wife and I had finished our spaghetti, watched the end of the 1st Indiana Jones, and before I could even wipe the red spag-sauce off my mouth and out of my beard, there was a subtle knock at my door. Instantly, our doorbell rang. Not the "ding-dong" sound as if had someone pressed the button next to the door handle. No, it was our other doorbell...Dakota, barking and howling! Not really a door "bell," she's more like a door-"gong", loud as crap, annoying and goes on forever.

There were two young men around my age standing ready to meet me as I unlatched and opened up. Each was wearing a black suit, tasteful blue tie and a pressed white shirt underneath, with a shoulder bag casually but carefully slung over their frame. Mormons. I was instantly reminded of a corny joke I once made: "What is the opposite of a Mormon? Give up? A "less-man!" (palming forehead in embarrassment)

Now, a formerly conservative, Baptist minister from the Bible-belt South, where we proudly tote bumper stickers that read, "The Bible says it, I believe it, That settles it," I could possibly be more than a hassle for these two mildly-trained-in-theology yet eager missionaries. Why not, the culture I came up in tells me to greet these two gentlemen with theological hostility, claiming that their beliefs are wacko opposed to mine, which come directly from God of course and are completely right and on target (which is after all, the point?).

However, I was feelings generous. I engaged them slightly, telling them during our conversation I was a minister and chaplain with a less than informed position toward The Church of LDS. Upon hearing I was a chaplain they inquired, "So, are you, then, a religious person?" And I have to say, with all the baggage that now comes with the term "religious," I honestly hate that question. My response, "Something like that."

I am aware of the dangers, as a vocational minister, in promoting the institution of religion over and above all else. Religion is too often used as a way of dividing one another (e.g. What religion are you?), labeling and enhancing differences. Focusing on religion creates in-groups, out-groups, clubs of exclusivity that work against what I see as the gospel.

And this is ironic considering the origin of the word religion. The exact origin is a little unclear; however, one strong possibility is that our word religion comes from the Latin word, ligare, which means "connect or bind." Adding the prefix "re-," it means "to re-connect." At it's core, religion is an attempt to reconnect ourselves, to reconnect with God, reconnect with nature, with ourselves and with other people. Religion is meant to bring us together in communion with the dance of life.

But, back to the Mormons. After the pleasantries, my two friends, like an uncontrollable impulse, had to shove the conversation awkwardly to their canned 20-second presentation of the gospel. And they did everything right. They maintained good eye contact, spoke clearly, spoke from the personal (e.g. "I believe; I've experienced), and they had all the right, pleasant, safe and approved words, which might invite me to ask further questions. They offered me a free copy of The Book of Mormon, opened it to a page they were referencing, showed it to me steadily, and held it out for me to take without pushing it on me. A flawless performance! Bravo, they took their training well.

But, what they didn't take into account is that they were talking to a hospital chaplain. I spend my days, meeting strangers and finding ways to connect personally with them in a relatively short amount of time. This is an art form, at which I humbly confess I am a novice. People are typically very good at spotting facades. If I am disingenuous, patients tend to realize and back away from me in conversation. And when these two fellows began telling me their beliefs, I did just that. Their vocal patterns changed from individual person to mechanically rehearsed sales pitch made to sound falsely sincere. I immediately disconnected from them. This, too, is ironic as they were attempting to share their religion, their reconnection.

I will admit. I have not done any old fashion "faith sharing" in quite some time. This is due partially to a drastic change in my theology and thoughts on evangelism, and partially due to the fact that I just don't think it's that worth while anymore. If you want to know my beliefs, my faith, look at my life, engage me in honest conversation without a secret motive. Befriend me and let's talk about all subjects ranging from basketball, homeless people, God, ping-pong, my deepest fears, favorite foods and my love for my bride. Let's go to restaurants, walks along nature trails, to movies and my apartment. Share as much of yourself as you want from me. Let's laugh together and be sad together. I think you will learn far more about my personal beliefs and theology (and I'll learn about yours), and there will be no question as to what is genuine or scripted. Let's connect, debate, discuss, argue, reconnect and learn to see the world, and learn to see God, through one another's perspective. That is my religion.

Be blessed.

1 comment:

lance said...

nice post. i really like what you said here in reference to sincerity.