Wednesday, August 31, 2011

As expected

If you haven't read the previous post titled, "My way or the highway," then STOP here and go read it. This is an addendum.

For those of you touched by the story of a man choosing to time his own life to his dying wife's life, know that only two days afterher husband passed away, as expected our lady from the last post, Wilma, died peacefully this morning.

No doubt it will be very difficult on their children to lose both parents within a few days; however, I can totally understand their desire to "go" together. My wife and I have joked about, as well as talked seriously about, dying together knowing just how difficult it would be to go on living without the other in our lives.

This is a messy situation, to which all kinds of emotions are surely attached. I wonder how those of you reading this are responding. Care to share your thoughts?

2 comments:

Audrey said...

It is a sad story, for those left behind, but for the couple involved, could there have been a happier ending? Neither one had to deal with the pain of losing the one person they loved most, their life companion and friend.

The story reminded me of Grandma Bailey. Soon after Michael and i married, she was nagging me for that great-great grandchild. Of course, it never came. The rest of the great-grandkids also grew up, some married, but it seemed that her wish to have a 5-generation picture (like her mom had) wouldn't be fulfilled. I think she took a turn for the worse last fall, but she rallied after she heard Kristina was going to have a baby, and she got her 5-generation photo after all.

It could be a coincidence that she died not long after that. But i think having a reason to live, to cling to life, even a small one, makes all the difference in the world. Life is complex, and it is a beautiful thing.

Arie Uittenbogaard said...

I think there’s no greater thing than love. The wife of a friend of mine came down with cancer. She went through chemo and lost her hair. When that started to happen, my friend shaved his head bald. And this was long before that was hip.
It’s midnight here; I’m in Belgrade, Serbia. My wife sits on the bed. She’s on the phone with a girlfriend and I’m “checking emails” meaning stats and blogs. I think I’m going to post this now and then I’m going to coach my wife off the phone. And tell her that I love her, and always will…