Thursday, August 20, 2009

Eeew!.....Oooh!

I have had many amazing opportunities in my life. I have jumped out of an airplane! I sat front row to watch my team (Tar Heels) win the NCAA basketball chamionship! I married the perfect girl!!! I once caught a 65lb King Salmon in an Alaskan river (2nd biggest non-commercial catch!). I have sat with a mother in the hospital as we watched the heart monitor slowly count down to zero as her son took his last breaths of life; heart wrentching, humbling, sacred. I have done many things. Two days ago I added another to this list.

I observed an autopsy...

As much as I didn't want to see it, given the opportunity to view one while working in a hospital, I couldn't pass this one up.

The process was shocking, grotesque, fascinating, and inspired in me a sense of wonder at the complexity of the human body. Those preforming the procedure took great care in what they did and gave respect to the deceased. They also worked with efficience as if it were just another day in the office. They talked about grocery shopping and coupons, the night before, and how their day had been.


I watched from several feet away, at first not able to watch, while my body strongly considered nausia as it's chief reaction. However, these feelings fleeted as my curiosity took over. "Liver," one announced as she put it on a scale for another to record the weight. Then out came one lung, then two, a stomach, and kidneys. The intestines seemed never ending, other organs and finally the heart was removed.

By this time I had gowned up and was standing in the thick of it asking the doctor, "Need any help?" He chuckled but paid no mind to the silly bamboozled chaplain in awe at his side. How emty. There was but a shell left formed by the ribs, an opening and the spinal column. Nothing left over...nothing.

Perhaps the most interesting was the brain. Yes, you read it right, they went after the brain. I'll spare you the details, but this process involved a knife, a power saw and a pair of strong hands.

The experience will go down into the hall of fame into my memory's corridors for sure. Look how God so intricately put together our bodies, it is nothing but inspiring.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:13-14

1 comment:

Erin Miller said...

great description! Oh, yes we did.