Friday, August 7, 2009

Good Samaritans

The sputtering of the engine and lurging of the motorcle could only mean one thing...I was out of gas. This happened once, while riding my motorcyle on a long highway trip. As I pulled into the emergency lane and coasted to a hault I watched my wife's car right in front of my drive drive away as she didn't notice my distress. Dang!


Remembering that motorcylces have reserve gas tanks I flipped the switch on the side of the bike, and to my surprise, it started up! "Whew, I'll be alright," I thought. There was enough gas to get me to the next exit where the bike died again at the end of the exit ramp.


One problem: no gas stations in sight.


To my fortune, a man and wife, heading home to take a ride on their motorcylce had pitty on me and stopped their old pick-up truck full of seemingly junk in the back. "We'll fix ya'up," he said enthusiastically and as country as humanly possible. "I got sum'hose in m'truck...an' we can use 'at bottle," he slurred as he ran to pick up a discarded, dented, empty two-liter sprite bottle from the grass. Inserting the hose into his gas tank, he looked at me, said with a worried look on his face, "I always 'ate dis part," and began to suck gas up through the hose."


I found myself wondering, "How many times has he done this? He'll probably have some motor oil for dessert later."


Seeing the gas approaching through the clear hose, his eyes bulged out and he spit the hose out just before he received a mouth full of Exxon's finest unleaded. But he filled the sprite bottle and then put it in my tank. Plenty to get me to a fill station.


I thanked them repeditively and offered money to pay for their gas. They declined and happily wished me a good day before they went on their merry way to help others stranded by the way side.

_____________________
Just the other day as my car pool buddy (or should it be "buddy-ey"?) and I got to the car to begin the trek up the mountian, we found the neighboring car and fellow employee driver with a dead battery. She had called secrurity to come and jump her battery but didn't know when they'd arrive.


So, thinking of my own side of the road rescuers, I offered to jump start her car with my cables. Moments later her car started, and she thanked me before mosying on her merry way.


_____________________
It seems to me that this world could use more stories like these. Simple ways in which regular people can leave a lasting impact by helping. Out of our own abundance can we give to those in need?


Too often do I pass by cars on the side of the highway and moments later someone walking with a gas can. I think I'll stop next time. Maybe I'll even keep with me a spare hose and sprite bottle.

Has you helped anyone lately? Has anyone helped you?

Shared stories welcome.

1 comment:

Erin Miller said...

I was there!!! And let me add how generous you were and how relieved and grateful she was. It was a very sweet "Nathan" moment that inspired me to be more aware of samaritan opportunities.

And for anyone reading this blog - please know that motorcycle riding is very dangerous and not encouraged by chaplains. You will probably end up in an emergency room naked with lots of skin scraped off, so please be careful. OK I feel better now!