Monday, October 19, 2009

Changing Perspective

Revenge movies, our society is obsessed with them. Basic plot line: protagonist is wronged in some way at the beginning of the film. He or she then spends the rest of the time plotting, "or possibly scheming," on how to take revenge and kill the bad people.

And I must admit, I have been a fan of many movies within this genre. Coming to mind is Taken, Brave One, Punisher, Gladiator, Kill Bill, Eye for an Eye, Double Jeapardy, Payback and the most recent Law Abiding Citezen. I haven't seen all of these movies but many of them. Some, by the title, I can tell are revenge flicks (e.g. Payback, Eye for an Eye).

What is it about revenge that's so compelling? Somehow the film makers are usually able to put the audience on the side of the one doing the most violence. I recently saw Law Abiding Citizen. From an action point of view the movie delivered. The plot was intricate and well thought out. However, the theme of justifiable revenge purvading the film industry was not doing it for me with this movie. I feel I've had a change of perspective.

The extent in which Gerard Butler's character exacted his revenge was over the top and disturbing. Jamie Foxx played a DA who was also not the most wholesom of characters. There was no lovable character to this story to cling to.

I've begun ruminating on our culture's affinity for revenge. The Count of Monte Cristo is also a revenge movie that by the end makes a good point: revenge doesn't make us feel better. At the end of the book Edmond Dantes, having gotten his revenge, is left with a lonely depressed sense of loss. Happiness is an elusive stranger for him.

I wonder if that's why Jesus had no time for revenge? I wonder if he knew that vengence will only kill us from the inside? Jesus seemed to know that the only way to trump our dark desire for revenge is to act lovingly toward those who wrong us. After all, he asked God to forgive the very ones nailing him to a Roman death cross. Dietrich Bonhoeffer called this "costly grace," because it's not easy and it's not cheap.

And if none of this works for you, take Paul's advice who in Romans makes a hermeneutical joke by quoting Proverbs, "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head" (Rom. 12:20). Sounds a bit vengeful.

So, while in the past, I admit I have been entertained by revenge movies, they just don't spin my fan much anymore. I'm sure Hollywood will never quit making this genre; but perhaps they might consider a film about costly grace about loving those who hurt us the worst in order to find healing and wholeness, about overcoming evil with good rather than another kind of self-righteous evil. Though I don't think it would sell many tickets, it would be a pretty radical shift.

"In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." -John 16:33
{Picture: A Change in Perspective by kuschelirmel1}

2 comments:

The Rev. Vicki K. Hesse said...

NT: "they just don't spin my fan much anymore" is such a great line. Thanks for sharing your changing perspective! you're the best

Erin Miller said...

Thank you for including Gerard Butler in this post. That was very meaningful to me. Please do that more often.