Monday, November 8, 2010

Surprise

As part of our adjustment to Alaska geography, we have been informed of our need for dog booties. Dakota and Lola are no strangers to the snow; however, for 5-6 months out of the year there is snow on the ground in Anchorage. And, if we're to take them on any long walks their paws will easily get cold, get ice in them and cause their entire bodies to lose warmth. Doggy booties are in order.

So, the search began. After having no luck in a number of Super Pets, Pet Co, Cabellas and REI stores we finally got a tip to try a local pet store in Anchorage called Alaska Mill and Feed Pet Supply (or something like that; it had a long name). A fellow dog owner gave us the tip to buy only fleece booties, because dogs that have never worn other kinds (there's lots of kinds for serious hiking and rugged type stuff) wouldn't like them.

So on Heather's first day of work I went on a mission to find dog shoes. I finally found the store (it's hard to get to), found the fleece booties and bought 8 of them. There was just enough time to put them on and pick Heather up from work. The plan: For her daughters to greet their mommy in the car wearing their fancy new shoes. (Heather loves surprises like that!)

I had it all planned out. The dogs were in the car wearing the boots, and I went in the hospital lobby to wait on Heather. When she was done, we walked out together toward the car. Now, when we leave her in the car, Dakota always climbs into the front seat and greets us when we open the doors. This will only add to the surprise. When we reached the car, like the gentleman that I am, I opened the door for Heather and: Surprise! Dakota had vomited all over Heather's seat and floor board! She was missing a cutie bootie and Lola was missing two. Happy first day of work, my sweet.

Not exactly the surprise I had in mind. But aren't they just adorable in those things?! They hate wearing them, but are slowly (SLOWLY) getting used to them. Right now, when I put them on, the dogs usually just stand in one place on three legs waiting for the bad dream to end (take these things off my paws!).

I'm sure they'll adjust in time.

4 comments:

Alle Photography said...

This made me lol rofl! guess you should have known better :) they do look awfully cute though!

Unknown said...

That's so funny. What a great surprise. The puppies do look cute though with their doggie booties. Hope they get used to them.

Robert L said...

One of the funniest things I have ever read.

I opened the door for Heather and: Surprise! Dakota had vomited all over Heather's seat and floor board!

Reminiscent of Christmas vacation when Chevy Chase is reading the night before Christmas:

when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a miniature sleigh and Eddie with a man in his pajamas with a dog chain tied to his wrist and ankles... hilarious

The Rev. Vicki K. Hesse said...

is this in your budget?

great post