Wednesday, April 20, 2011

By what are you saved?

A colleague introduced me to this short poem by Lynn Unger, a Unitarian Universalist minister. And though I am not a member of the UU church myself, I believe we can all benefit from the resources of other faith traditions. I hope you enjoy, as I do, how Unger paints a simple and elegant picture of God's gently radical salvation.

Enjoy.

By what are you saved? And how?
Saved like a bit of string,
tucked away in a drawer?
Saved like a child rushed from
a burneing building, already
singed and coughing smoke?
Or are you salvaged
like a car part--the one good door
when the rest is wrecked?


Do you believe me when I say
you are neigher salvaged nor saved,
but salved, anointed by gentle hands
where you are most tender.
Haven't you seen the way the snow curls down
like a fresh sheet, how it
covers everything, makes everything
beautiful without exception.

Rev. Lynn Unger