Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Was Jesus Gay?

Well, was he?

The Bible holds no record that Jesus was married. And, in the the book of John, one of the disciples (some think it was the author of the book, but this most like isn't the case) was always referred to as the one whom Jesus loved (for an example see John 13:23). Jesus also predominantly hung out with a group of dudes. So, the question: was Jesus gay?

Before some of you balk too drastically at the absurdity of this question (presumably you're angrily reacting: of course he was not gay!!!!), know that the title to this blog is more for the purpose of grabbing your attention. I personally don't think Jesus was gay, but in all historical honestly we must admit together: we'll never know.

I did run across a provocative quote recently (forgive me for forgetting the author and being too lazy to go find it) that says, "Why do so many Christians worry about gays but not poverty?" And, I thought this was a good question. The Christians who believe being gay is a sin and will send you to hell too often forget or neglect those people who are impoverished and are already going through hell on the streets each night.

A number of Biblical scholars have made concerted attempts to exegete the Bible to show/prove that the Bible doesn't address modern homosexuality (see John Shelby Spong's Living in Sin: The Bible and Homosexuality). And, there is something to this proposition. While men having sex with men (and the same for women) did happen in antiquity, the modern notion of two men or women having a long-term monogomous relationship was simply outside of the cultural realm of possibility. In that way, the Bible doesn't address modern homosexuality.

There's also something to the fact that Leviticus directly condemns man-on-man sex, as well Paul, in Romans, lists sex between two men as sinful (right before he tells his readers that they're just as sinful!). So, it's worth while to consider that at least some of the biblical authors likely thought homosexuality (or some form thereof) was bad, not preferred, sinful, not useful for procreation (this last one was probably their biggest concern).

When considering Paul's stance (since so many Christians seem to listen to Paul more than Jesus) on this issue, I would like to pose this question, "Is is possible that Paul was just wrong?" I mean, he was wrong when he wrote that Jesus would be returing in the flesh very soon. It's been 2,000 years and no Jesus. I think we've exhausted the extent of the word, soon.

200 years ago, virtually everyone in the United States thought that slavery was moral and that God looked favorably upon slavery as "the way things ought to be.' The Bible was often cited as one of the cheif proponents of slavery. Then around the middle of the 19th century, when the country was split on the issue, the Bible was used to defend both sides of the argument. But now, in 2011, virtually all of us agree that slavery is, in fact, bad, wrong, sinful, not preferred. And, we use the Bible to support this thought.

I think we are in the middle of a similar kind of progression. Not too long ago, the vast majority of Americans (especially Christians) held that homosexuality was wrong. Currently, there's a strong divide on the issue and the Bible is being cited to defend both sides. I personally look forward to the day when gay-bashing is a thing of the past at which we hang our shameful heads.  And, I hope to live to see that day. I can't think of a worse way to spread "God's love" by telling someone he's going to hell (as some of my gay friends have been told).

I recently read an article/blog about this kind of cultural shift from shaming a thing to accepting it. It was very enlightening and spoke to this subject. Click here to read it.

Where do I stand on the issue? Though I grew up being told that it was wrong and sinful by family, culture and the Southern Baptist Convention, I personally feel very welcoming and affirming of people with non-hetersexual preference. I also don't think it's my business to know if or if not another person is gay/lesbian. Asking someone if she's gay is as invasive as me asking you what your favorite sexual position is (also something I don't want to know). If you are ever asked if someone else is gay, I recommend responding, "I don't know that person that well." (For the yaars.)

When I imagine Jesus encountering a modern gay person, I think back to all of the Bible stories of Jesus meeting other ostracized, marginalized and outcast members of society. And, how did Jesus respond? By welcoming them, hugging leppers, speaking to and respecting women, mingling with the poor and inviting children in. I can't imagine Jesus responding any differently to a modern person who happens to be homosexual. So, how could I, how could we, think of responding any differently?

I also realize that this is still a heated issue for many people. (If you're somone with lots of energy on this topic, know that your energy is coming from fear and not from theological righteousness.) And, this will liely be a heated issue for a while. Hence, I choose to respect your position on this issue if it is different than mine. In return I ask for the same respect, and I'm happy to dialogue on the issue with anyone interested. Comments are welcome, please keep them civil.

4 comments:

Audrey said...

Great post, Nathan. I think a lot fewer people would go hungry if the anti-gay marriage movement would as much money and energy into helping the needy as opposed to picketing and politicizing.

I also see the country being in a transitive phase regarding this issue. More and more people are accepting and/or indifferent, especially the younger generations. It's happening. I think we'll be alive to see it.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting...and something we all need to think about. Not so much as whether or Jesus was gay, but our response to the whole premise of sin. First of all, do I believe Jesus was gay? No, but I do believe he was tempted. At least that is what the scriptures say. Do I believe it is a sin? Yes, again that is what the scriptures say. However, who amoung us in 2011 live without sin? Adultery is also sin, yet, the world today turns it's back and looks the other way. No one is willing to defend or condemn. So I think the bigger question is why are so many "Christians" so outspoken against this issue?
It is a puzzle to me. I too have many friends who have chosen a homosexual lifestyle and frankly, I find them to me more genuine and caring than many "Christians" I know.
I think the real issue is whether or not we are willing to stand up and address the real issue of whether or not individuals are going to be with us in heaven or do the work of conviction?
I have seen photos of "Christians" holding signs that say "God hates fags." I breaks my heart, because HE doesn't. HE loves them as much as HE loves you and me. If we would spend more time on doing the right things ... such as embracing, loving, accepting everyone for who they are and sharing the good news, then the Holy Spirit will do it's job and convict where conviction needs to happen.
Thank God Jesus didn't turn the lepers or the prostitutes or the "sinners" away.
Momma T

The Rev. Vicki K. Hesse said...

Guess i don't know Jesus that well

The Rev. Vicki K. Hesse said...

thanks for the post, you ally, you!