Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Death Race

Recently I caught my wife in an unusual mood when on a Saturday evening she suggested, "Why don't we go see that Death Race movie?" Knowing I could not pass up this opportunity we ventured to the theater to see the poorly anticipated newest installment of what is sure to become a part of Jason Statham's "B" movie legacy.

I have never seen a outstanding Statham film where he played the main protagonist. Some people call this the "Van Dam syndrome." Statham has played in a myriad of films as the main character all of which payed off very mildly in the box office. But he continues to be cast in new films such as Death Race, released August '08. I have nothing personal against the actor, but as I see it he continually churns out really great "B" quality movies. I don't forsee an Emmy with his name on it anytime soon.

I must say, the movie is quite entertaining. Action-packed from beginning to end is an accurate expectation. It's kind of like Mad Max meets The Shawshank Redemption. Thought the plot is for the most part disclosed in the previews there is one small twist at the end which may catch the non-thinking viewer off guard. The stunts, special effects, and CGI are all incredibly well done and keep you on the edge of your seat. The cheese factor is also kept to a minimum if you can get past the premise that convicts are given sedan-like tanks and forced to race for their lives and freedom. There is a small bit of gore and bad language, but mostly the movie recieved an "R" rating due to the intense violent action.

Joan Allen did an expected excellent job playing the stone cold, refined, high-heeled prison warden. You might remember her as "Pamela Landy" from the second and third Jason Borne movies. Also, I don't know his name but the casting director found perhaps the best Al Pacino look-alike I've ever seen.

Over all the movie is good. It's not award winning but definitely worth a rent if you're looking for quality action. It was of course a remake of an old David Carradine and Sylvester Stalone movie, Death Race 2000, released 1975. I haven't seen that one yet...but I intent to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome reflection on the new Deathrace, Nathan--Joan Allen is an accomplished actress whom I respect very much, but it is very hard to understand why she did this. Could it be that she is sending a kid to college and just needs the money? Loved her in the film Upside of Anger and you are right about the Bourne films, Allen brings some more class to a action film franchise that already was classy. Anyway, I am starting to discover some Stratham films that I am interested in seeing--will let you know! Blessings, my friend!

Chad Reed said...

death race 2000 is a must-see!!