Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I'll Never Forget It

"There's a first time for everything," so the saying goes. This past Monday, Sept. 29th, I had another first opportunity. Yesterday, for the first time, I conducted a funeral. Recently, a patient whom I have been seeing in the hospital, passed away. For confidentiality purposes I will withhold his name. During his time in the hospital I had the pleasure of building a relationship with his wife and family. The day following his death the family honored me by requesting that I preside over his funeral. What a compliment!

Problem: I've never done a funeral before.

After a weekend of calling those ministers wiser and more experienced than me and speaking for long periods of time with the family, I stepped into my first funeral home pulpit.

The experience was a blessing. I've heard pastors say, "I'd rather do a funeral than a wedding." I've never done a wedding, but I've been around a few. And there is a qualitative difference between the two scenes. Mostly, I appreciated very much the genuine atmosphere around the funeral, and the openness to their feelings that people displayed.

The experience helped me to re-focus on the eschatological promises of God. We know that God is a great promiser and a perfect healer. And we can rest easy in the strong promise that this man doesn't need anymore healing. He doesn't need anything this world has to offer. This is the comfort that we can have at a time of such sorrow.

Due to the deceased's service in the Army, it was a full military funeral including full uniform pall bearers, a bag piper, and a 21 gun solute. For me the most intense moment was when the soldiers folded the flag for his wife. Out of respect and honor for their fallen countrymen they made sure the flag was perfect before the presentation.

I'll never forget this first experience. It was a moving experience as well as an honor. I look forward to the next time I have the opportunity to be blessed by offering a blessing for those hurting. I wish the family well, and may he rest in peace.

No comments: