Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Dog Theology, part 6: Greeters

When you walk through the front doors of the EC (Emergency Center) you are met by one or two friendly faces behind the front desk: the greeters. Over the past 10 months (yes, it's been that long already!) I've developed a fun and strong working relationship with the EC Greeters as we see them often in trauma situations.
There's the shorter, stout, muscular guy who looks like his growth was stunted from working out at a young age. There's the extremely short hobbit sized guy who looks like he could be a contemporary Christian musician. There's the huge-sized gregarious former pastor former chaplain turned greeter extraordinaire. There's the thin, dark gentleman who's eager to get to know people but somehow reserved about it at the same time. There's the classy lady whose hair is different every single time I see her.
When you're having a bad day, bad enough to come to the hospital, you'll be greeted by one of these who will somehow make your day a little better if only by putting you in line to see the doctor.
When I get home everyday, I have a pair of greeters of my own. Here's how it typically goes down. The moment my hand touches the handle I get barked at. Opening the door, I usually see one dog very closely and another en route, both followed by mini baseball bats (I mean tails) oscilating to and fro. My toes are stepped on, my hands get sniffed and left moist. One jumps in the air but takes great pains as she fights the urge to put her paws on me. My knees get pushed on and locked as one rubs her furry body against them. An irresistable smile overtakes my face.
When I have a bad day, I can always trust these two expert greeters to lift my spirits and make me feel loved. That's the divine gift that God gives dogs.
I also think it parallels the way God is always ready to greet us. I don't mean necessarily only when we die or whatever; but, God must be ever-ready to receive us delightfully through prayer or presence, making our day as we simply give mind to the presence of the divine.

2 comments:

Erin Miller said...

Love it! Greeters-dogs-God. Great train of thought. I will be so happy to kick you out of the car from now on.

The Rev. Vicki K. Hesse said...

Welcome home, you prodigal son!