Saturday, November 14, 2009

Tired

One week ago, Saturday the 7th I was on call. I came to the hospital at 8:30 in the morning and stayed until 8:30 Sunday morning-a 24 hour shift.
Monday: Regular work day (8 hrs)
Tuesday: Regular work day (8 hrs)
The following Wednesday (11/11) I was again on call. I worked a regular day (8:30-5) and then stayed on at the hospital all night working through half a day Thursday. (28 hrs)
Friday: 1/2 day because I would work Sat. (4 hrs)
Today: Another Saturday on call totalling 24 hrs
So here I am, blogging in between calls for the chaplain. I was wondering why I feel tired but, when I add up these numbers my question gets answered. Come tomorrow morning I will have worked a total of 96 hours in 8 days! Arg!
Before I took this job, I knew the residency year would be tough and include a number weeks of this kind of punishment. So, I don't want to sound like I'm just complaining; rather laying out my recent work schedule helps me regain my sanity back.
Why have I been going to bed earlier all week? Why have I not wanted to do much once I got home recently. Why is my energy level low? 96 hours is why.
What I need is a shabbat, a day of rest, or better yet two days! Let me encourage you, yes you, the one reading, to take some time for rest. I've never heard anyone on his death bed say, "I wish I had worked more." And I've talked with plenty of people on their death beds. It's what I do. Something to think about.

3 comments:

Erin Miller said...

aaah. I feel both guilty and fortunate to be reading this in bed after my shabbat. Next weekend is coming! Hang in there.

The Rev. Vicki K. Hesse said...

something about pouring out your life for love...? hang in there, buddy...and thanks for covering for me on vacation

Robert L said...

NATHAN! I feel your pain. Although I am not working 96 hours, driving for 3 hours one way and getting home around 9 usually tends to keep me from doing anything constructive or being able to give Anna my full attention when I get home. You just be sure to give Heather a good hug before you pass out on the couch.